Most desktop computers run some version of Microsoft Windows, however most servers and a growing variety of desktop computers run on UNIX system kernels, that area unit flavors of OS. Learning your approach around UNIX system was historically discouraging initially, because it appeared quite completely different from Windows, however several current versions area unit simple to use as they’re designed to mimic the Windows look-and-feel. Moving to UNIX system will be a really rewarding expertise, as UNIX system will be bespoken additional simply, and is usually abundant quicker than Microsoft Windows.
1. Become acquainted with the system. strive downloading and putting in it on your laptop. If you are not positive, remember that it’s doable to stay your current software package and dedicate a part of your disc drive to UNIX system (and you’ll be able to even run each at constant time if you run one on a virtual machine.)
2. take a look at your hardware with a “Live CD” that’s provided by several of the distributions of UNIX system. this is often useful if you’re feeling uncomfortable with putting in a second software package on your laptop. A live CD can permit you in addition into a UNIX system setting from the CD, while not the requirement to put in something on your laptop. Ubuntu and a few different UNIX system distributions conjointly provide CDs or DVDs that permit you in addition into a Live mode, so install from constant disk.
3. try the tasks you always use your laptop for. explore for solutions if you cannot word-process or burn a CD as an example. create a note of what you would like to try to to, will do and can’t do before you are taking the plunge.
4. Learn the distributions of UNIX system. once touching on “Linux”, this most frequently means that a “GNU/Linux Distribution.” A distribution may be a assortment of software package that runs on high of a really tiny program known as the UNIX system kernel.
5. contemplate dual-booting. this may assist you perceive partitioning yet as lease you still use Windows. however make certain to duplicate all of your personal information and settings before you are trying to line up a twin boot.
6. Install software package. Get accustomed putting in and uninstalling software package as before long as you’ll be able to. Understanding package management and repositories is nice for essentially understanding UNIX system.
7. Learn to use (and relish using) the command-line interface. this is often referred to as ‘Terminal’, ‘terminal window’, or ‘shell’. one in all the first reasons several users switch to UNIX system is as a result of it options the terminal, thus do not be intimidated by it. it’s a robust ally that does not have constant limitations of a Windows prompt. you’ll be able to even as simply use UNIX system while not ever employing a terminal as you’d on waterproof OSX. exploitation “apropos” will assist you notice a command that will a definite task. strive “apropos user” to check a listing of commands that have the word “user” in their description.
8. familiarize yourself with the UNIX system filing system. you may initial notice that there’s not the “C:\” you’re accustomed in Windows. Everything starts at the foundation of the filing system (aka “/”) and completely different arduous drives area unit accessed through the /dev directory. Your home directory, that you usually notice in C:\Documents and Settings in Windows XP and 2000, is currently placed in /home/(your user name)/.
9. Keep work the potential of your UNIX system install. strive encrypted partitions, new and really quick filing system (like btrfs), redundant parallel disks that increase each speed and reliability (RAID’s) and check out to put in UNIX system on a bootable USB stick. you will soon discover that you just will do heaps of things!